- Menu of resources and tools Basal Alignment Project
- The Literacy Design Collaborative Look for “Linking Secondary Core Content to the Common Core State Standards” and the LDC Template Tasks, which are fill-in-the blank performance tasks using the language of the ELA CCSS, and juried modules (units) in ELA, science, and social studies to support students in succeeding in the tasks. Download the rubric used to evaluate the modules.
- Mathematics Assessment Project (funded by Gates Foundation)
- Illustrative Mathematics (funded by the Gates Foundation)
- Mastering Math Facts: The Research
- The Power of Feedback (2007) –
- Assessing Essential Skills: The Oregon Diploma Project’s Toolkit
- Fullan’s final report on Maine’s Local Assessment System –
- Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium Home
- Performance Assessment
- Bloom’s and Marzano/Kendall’s Taxonomies of Learning
- What Works Clearinghouse
- Norman Webb’s alignment studies
- One-page graphic, includes 4 levels of knowledge (2006) –
- Comprehensive PowerPoint – includes DOK theories/models and in-depth discussion of alignment of standards and assessment (2005)
- Alignment processes (2007)
- How teachers learn: Generating Teaching Effectiveness: The Role of Job-Embedded Professional Learning in Teacher Evaluation (May 2012) –
- Job-Embedded Professional Development: What It Is, Who Is Responsible, and How to Get It Done Well (2010) –
- Learning Forward
- A psychologist’s personal blog with some fascinating ideas about change.
- An online primer on theories of change, including second order change
- Fullan’s Change Theory: A Force for School Improvement (2006). He offers seven core premises that should be considered in systemic change. –
- Rick Maurer’s three levels of resistance: 1. I don’t get it. 2: I don’t like it. 3. I don’t like you.
- Overcoming “loose coupling.” –
- Using a Living-System Approach to Change (McREL, 2003) –
Parents, Community and Standards
- Parent and family resources
- Sample parent night process
- Proficiency-based learning from the student’s perspective (Edward Little high school students on youtube)
- 3 minute videos for parents from the Council of the Great City Schools
Education News Sources
- E-School News
- EdWeek Online
- Huffington Post Education
- New York Times Education section
- Kappan Magazine
- SmartBrief – Subscription pages for a collection of news sources about educational leadership.
- The Data Quality Campaign – Tools for Communicating Data to the public
- Education Next is a quarterly journal of opinion and research about education policy published by the Hoover Institution at Stanford University, and additionally sponsored by the Program on Education Policy and Governance at Harvard University and the Thomas B. Fordham Foundation.
- The National Education Policy Center’s Bunkum Awards – “The Bunkum Awards highlight nonsensical, confusing, and disingenuous education reports produced by think tanks. They are given each year by the Think Twice Think Tank review project to think tank reports judged to have most egregiously undermined informed discussion and sound policy-making.”
- Education Sector is an independent think tank that challenges conventional thinking in education policy. Check “Charts you Can Trust” in the Publications Tab, which includes clear research briefs with embedded data displays.